Thursday, May 10, 2012

Painting #4 - Max

Painting #4 -Max
5" x 7" 
Oil on Canvas Board
$3
Purchased by Andy Miller
Sean was almost a Max. When I was a kid, I didn't know if I would ever be married, or even if I would have kids someday. But I knew that if I ever had a son, I wanted him to be Max. It turned out that Angela, from the same age, wanted the same name for her son. When the time came, and we saw that little spot on the ultrasound, (I had to take the nurse's word for it) we knew that we had a Max on our hands. As we got closer though, we noticed that the name Max kept popping up. When Angela's mom suggested Sean Patrick, we knew we had our name.  And so Max became Sean. Which is a good thing, because he is Sean through and through.

I've had 'Where The Wild Things Are' on my mind this week with the death of Maurice Sendak. It was always on my bookshelf as a kid, along with the Seuss, Uncle Remus, my Bible stories and everything else. But Sendak was always down on the end of the shelf along with Roald Dahl. They were kids' books, but they always made me feel a little older when I read them. Sweet, but a little spooky and sinister at the same time. The musical equivalent was hearing 'Rikki Don't Lose That Number' for the first time when I was 8. There was something going on there that I didn't fully understand, but I liked it, and it made me feel a little more grown up.

Maurice Sendak 1928 - 2012
Requiescat en pace. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment